Sunday, March 6, 2016

1958 Ford F-100


f1
This 1958 Ford F-100 “short box” pickup really caught my eye as an “honest” vehicle. The advertisement gives me the same impression, with the bad highlighted just as much as the good. Despite spending most of it’s life in New Mexico, it’s currently located in Norfolk, Virginia and is for sale here on eBay. Bidding is starting at 99 cents, so what have you got to lose?

f2
I’m not sure just what it is that I like so much about this truck. Maybe it’s the car-like grille, and the more modern lines of the 58 versus the older F-1’s and F-100’s? Maybe it’s the great red and white color scheme? I know I like the fact that not only is it straight, but apart from some relatively minor rust in the bed, the truck really looks like there’s nothing much to fix body-wise. This, of course, assumes you are going to use it as a truck, not as an immaculate showpiece! This here’s a truck!

f3
The seller has thoughtfully included pictures of the well-used bed, as well as the front edge where rust has been quasi-repaired with a piece of angle iron and the rust through towards the side where no repair has been made at all. Having a truck bed that looks like it’s been used doesn’t bother me at all, but I would try to properly repair the rust-through and see what I could do to improve the “repair” at the front of the bed.

f5
The inside to me is a pleasant surprise, with a decent red seat and nothing too terrible. I love that it’s a manual four-speed, and look at that giant shifter! You must have to move it a foot or more to go from gear to gear! Nothing here I’d change at all!

f4
With a 272 V8 that runs great, recent brake and clutch hydraulic work, and it driving nicely, I think that’s exactly what I’d do–drive it! How about you? Have you got a home for this truck?

Source: barnfinds.com

1 comment:

User said...

You can find complete service information for 1958 Ford F100 in 1958 ford truck shop manual eBook.